Luxury Budapest book cover

Tour VIII.
Városliget

Visitors to Budapest often visit Hősők tere, which lies on the edge of the largest city park. This leafy green area was originally called Városerdő. However, József Palatine (1776 – 1847) had the trees, originally planted here as a gesture to society, cut down to provide fire-wood for the poor, thus changing the landscape from a forest into a mere copse. Its current appearance was created during the Hungarian millennium celebrations in 1896. Városliget was a favourite entertainment centre at the time.